2015 News Releases | 2014 News Releases | 2013 News Releases
2011 News Releases
Frigid Weather Creates Peak Demands for Natural Gas
- DALLAS, Texas (February 2, 2011) — Atmos Energy, the largest distributor of natural gas in Texas, has seen record demands for gas due to the extremity of the cold weather in North Texas. According to John Paris, president of Atmos Energy Mid-Tex Division, “Our system has performed admirably due to a lot of preparation and the dedication of our service personnel who have been working around the clock. A curtailment order was issued for noon today by Atmos Energy. We are either curtailing or interrupting all industrial customers North of I-30 in the Dallas, Rockwall, and Tarrant counties. In addition, all industrial customers are curtailed or interrupted in Denton, Collin, Cooke and Grayson counties. This curtailment order to industrials is issued to ensure adequate supply to our residential and commercial customers.” Paris also noted, “The forecast continues to call for frigid temperatures over the next several days which means we still have severe weather ahead of us. Again, it is imperative that customers conserve energy by:
- Setting thermostats to 65 degrees. Keeping warm by insulating yourself with sweaters and jackets.
- Limiting early morning hot water use! Taking showers, doing dishes and laundry in the late afternoon and early evening prevents additional use at the peak wake-up time.
- Limiting opening doors, etc. If possible, use the smallest living space you can, and reduce the temperature in unused spaces to 60.
- Closing blinds and drapes to keep heat in unless there is direct sunlight available to help warm the space.”
If a customer experiences any problem with their gas service, they should call 888-286-6700. The company asks for patience as some response times have been affected due to hazardous driving conditions.
About Atmos Energy
Atmos Energy Corporation, headquartered in Dallas, is the country’s largest natural-gas-only distributor, serving more than 3 million natural gas distribution customers in more than 1,600 communities in 12 states from the Blue Ridge Mountains in the East to the Rocky Mountains in the West. Atmos Energy also provides natural gas marketing and procurement services to industrial, commercial and municipal customers primarily in the Midwest and Southeast and manages company-owned natural gas pipeline and storage assets, including one of the largest intrastate natural gas pipeline systems in Texas. Atmos Energy is a Fortune 500 company. For more information, visit www.atmosenergy.com.
Return to Top